Going Up (Louis Hirsch) New L.A. Cast Recording (CD)
Composer: Louis Hirsch
Although largely forgotten today, Louis Hirsch was one of the most important and progressive musical theater composers during the years surrounding World War I. His biggest hit, among a dozen Broadway shows, was the 1917 Going Up, which exploited the current fascination with airplanes. This studio recording, with four-hand piano accompaniment, showcases Hirsch’s bottomless melodic well and the rhythmic and harmonic stylings that kept him apace with Jerome Kern.
Going Up is a musical comedy in three acts with music by Louis Hirsch and book and lyrics by Otto Harbach and James Montgomery. Set in Lenox, Massachusetts, United States at the end of World War I, the musical tells the story of a writer turned aviator who wins the hand of the high society girl that he loves by his daring handling of the joystick of a biplane. Popular songs included "Hip Hooray," "If You Look in Her Eyes," "Kiss Me," "Going Up," "Do It for Me," "The Tickle Toe," and "Down! Up! Left! Right!".
The musical was a hit on Broadway in 1917 and again the following year in London. Revivals and a film adaptation followed.
by Louis Hirsch
ACT I: Lounging room at Gordon Inn: Lenox, Massachusetts
1. Overture 5:11
2. Opening Chorus: Hello! Hello!
3:46 Miss Zonne, Ensemble
3. I’ll Bet You 3:01 John Gordon, Ensemble
4. I Want a Boy (Who’s Determined to Do What I Say) 2:05 Madeline Manners, Hopkinson Brown
5. If You Look in Her Eyes 2:54 Grace Douglas, Madeline Manners
6. Going Up 2:24 Jules Gaillard, Ensemble
7. Finale 1:06 Ensemble
ACT II: Sitting room of Robert Street’s apartment at the Inn, same evening
9. The Touch of a Woman’s Hand 3:14 Grace Douglas, Girls
10. Down! Up! Left! Right! 1:48 Street, Brown, Brooks, Robinson
11. Do It for Me 4:47 Madeline Manners, Hopkinson Brown
12. Ev’rybody Ought to Know How to Do the Tickle Toe 1:43 Grace Douglas, Ensemble
13. Kiss Me 3:04 Grace Douglas, Jules Gaillard
14. Scene: If You Look in Her Eyes 0:59 Grace Douglas, Robert Street
15. Finale 0:53 Ensemble
ACT III: Scene I - A field near Gordon Inn, 6:00 the next afternoon / Scene II - Another portion of the field /
Scene III - In the air, an hour later / Scene IV - Exterior of hotel, one hour later
16. Entr’acte 2:08
17. Opening Chorus: Hip Hooray 0:56 Ensemble
18. There’s a Brand New Hero 2:37 Jules Gaillard, Ensemble
19. Here’s to the Two of You 1:30 Grace Douglas, Ensemble
20. Front Scene: You Start to Sway 2:20 Ensemble
21. Finale Ultimo 2:04 Ensemble
Bonus Songs by Irving Berlin
22. Come Along to Toy Town
4:30 Elyse Marchant
23. When the Curtain Falls 5:47 Elyse Marchant, Ryan Reithmeier
1 CD Total playing time: 59:58 min.