Giant (LaChiusa) (2012 Cast Recording on 2-CDs) with Brian D'Arcy-James, Kate Baldwin
Composer: Michael John LaChissa
Lyricist: Michael John LaChiusa
d'Arcy James, Brian/Moran, Martin
Audio CD (double)
Based on the classic novel by Pulitzer Prize-winning author Edna Ferber, GIANT is a new American musical that spans generations in an epic chronicle of the state that's like no place else on earth: Texas. Amid a turbulent culture of greed, bigotry and money, a powerful cattleman, his new East Coast bride, their family and friends – not to mention their enemies – embrace and confront the joys and sorrows that loom as large as the state they call home.
With a book by Sybille Pearson (the Tony-nominated author of Baby), music and lyrics by Michael John LaChiusa (the five-time Tony-nominated composer of The Wild Party and Hello Again) and direction by Michael Greif (the three-time Tony-nominated director of Rent and The Intelligent Homosexual's Guide...), GIANT came to life in an appropriately huge production with a company of 22 actors and a 17-piece orchestra.
GIANT is a co-production with Dallas Theater Center and a project of The Public's Musical Theater Initiative. GIANT is made possible with the generous support of THE TED AND MARY JO SHEN CHARITABLE FUND.
1. Aurelia Dolores (Polo, Lupe, and Company)
2. Did Spring Come to Texas? (Bick)2. Did Spring Come to Texas? (Bick)
3. Your Texas (Leslie, Bick)
4. No Time for Surprises (Luz)4. No Time for Surprises (Luz)
5. Private Property (Jett)
6. Outside Your Window (Jett, Leslie)
7. He Wanted a Girl (Vashti, Bick)7. He Wanted a Girl (Vashti, Bick)
8. Heartbreak Country (Bick, Leslie)
9. Ruega por Nosotros (Lupe, Servants)
10. Look Back/Look Ahead (Bawley, Bick, Leslie, and Company)
11. Topsy Turvy (Leslie, Bick)
12. When to Bluff (Jett, Lil Luz)
13. One Day (Jett, Men)
14. My Texas (Bick, Vashti, Pinkie, Adarene, Mike, Leslie and Company)
15. A Stranger (Leslie)15. A Stranger (Leslie)
16. Act One Finale (Bick, Jett, Bawley, and Company)
17. Our Mornings/That Thing (Bick, Luz)
18. Jump (Angel, Lil Luz, Bobby Jr.)
19. There is a Child (Juana, Jordy)19. There is a Child (Juana, Jordy)
20. Un Béso, Béso! (Polo, Lupe, Angel, Analita, Luz, and Company)20. Un Béso, Béso! (Polo, Lupe, Angel, Analita, Luz, and Company)
21. Place in the World (Bawley, Bick)
22. Midnight Blues (Vashti, Leslie)
23. The Dog is Gonna Bark (Jett)
24. Juana’s Prayer (Juana)
25. The Desert (Bick, Lesie)
26. Aurelia Dolores Reprise / Act Two Finale (Jordy, Juana, and Company)26. Aurelia Dolores Reprise / Act Two Finale (Jordy, Juana, and Company)
Music & Lyrics: Michael John LaChiusa
Book: Sybille Pearson
Album Producers: Joel Moss, Michael John LaChiusa, and Kurt Deutsch
Orchestrations: Bruce Coughlin
Additional Orchestrations: Larry Hochman
CAST (in order of appearance)
Raul Aranas – Polo Guerra
Brian D’Arcy James – Jordan ‘Bick’ Benedict
Kate Baldwin – Leslie Lynnton Benedict
Doreen Montalvo – Lupe
Isabel Santiago – Deluvina Obregon
Rocío Del Mar Vallés – Analita, Sr./Jr.
Martín Solá – Dimodeo
Enrique Acevedo – Miguel Obregon
Miguel Cervantes – Angel Obregon, Sr./Jr.
William Youmans – Mott ‘Pinkie’ Snythe
Matthew Stocke – Mike McCormack
Jon Fletcher – Bobby Dietz, Sr./Jr.
Michael Halling – Clay Sullivan/Lord Karfrey
Mary Bacon – Mrs. Lynnton/Adarene Morley
Michele Pawk – Luz Benedict
PJ Griffith – Jett Rink
Katie Thompson – Vashti Hake Snythe
Allison Rogers – Heidi Mueller/Lady Karfrey
John Dossett – Uncle ‘Bawley’ Benedict
Mackenzie Mauzy – Lil Luz Benedict
Bobby Steggert – Jordy Benedict, Jr.
Natalie Cortez – Juana Guerra
Additional Cast: Becca Ayers, Xavier Cano, Melissa Mitchell, Tally Sessions
Chris Fenwick – Conductor
Associate Conductor/Keyboard – Chris Haberl
David Mann, Jonathan Levine, John Winder – Reeds
Dylan Schwab, John Trombetta – Trumpet/Flugel
Tim Sessions – Trombone
Una Tone – Concert Master
Robert Shaw, Kiku Enomoto – Violins
Orlando Wells – Viola
Laura Bontrager – Cello
Bill Ellison – Bass
Kevin Kuhn – Guitar
Kory Grossman, Javiar Diaz – Percussion
"Giant is the MOST IMPORTANT NEW MUSICAL to come along since The Light in the Piazza. It's a show of immense and fully realized promise. Michael John LaChiusa is one of the most prodigiously gifted musical-theater songwriters since Stephen Sondheim."
–Wall Street Journal
"ALREADY ONE OF THE BEST MUSICALS OF THE YEAR! Wonderfully intimate and complex, Giant reaches peaks of genuine greatness. Brian d'Arcy James and Kate Baldwin are both stars of the first order."
–The New York Times
"GRADE: A! Michael John LaChiusa has crafted ONE OF THE FINEST NEW AMERICAN MUSICALS IN RECENT MEMORY. He and book writer Sybille Pearson establish surprising depths – it is the story and its epic but human sweep that will draw you in."
"FOUR STARS! Michael John LaChiusa's score spills over with emotion and yearning. Michael Greif has done an amazing job, and his cast is superb."
–New York Daily News
"It's big! There is much to sing about in this highly ambitious new musical. Brian d'Arcy James and the radiant Kate Baldwin deliver POWERHOUSE PERFORMANCES."
"An eloquent, robust new musical. A TOUR DE FORCE PERFORMANCE by Kate Baldwin."